Outside the Lines is currently on hiatus.
While the important work of shifting perceptions of libraries is never done, we believe that there have been great strides in the last several years in helping people think about libraries in a different way. And we hope that those who have participated and have been inspired by Outside the Lines use what they’ve learned beyond one week in September; these are ideas and inspiration that we can carry with us and use all year long.
Libraries are dynamic centers for engagement that help everyone in your local community be their best. To shift perceptions, we need to demonstrate how the library is more relevant than ever before.
Let’s not just tell people how libraries have changed; let’s show them.
Outside the Lines is a weeklong celebration demonstrating the creativity and innovation happening in libraries. Whether your organization is large or small, a school library or a public library, you can participate by hosting at least one event or campaign that:
- Gets people thinking – and talking – about libraries in a different way.
- Showcases the library out in the community as well as in the library.
- Highlights how your library is relevant to people’s lives.
- Represents your local community.
- Is active versus passive – gets people engaged.
- Is extraordinary and unexpected.
- Most importantly, is fun!